The National Railroad Construction & Maintenance Association (NRC) is pleased to announce the availability of scholarships for tuition assistance to children or grandchildren of employees of NRC member companies.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF 2016 NRC SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
AMOUNT OF AWARDS
This year, three scholarships will be awarded as follows: the first place applicant will receive $8,000, the second place applicant will receive $4,000, and the third place applicant will receive $2,000.
Scholarship funds, awarded annually, will be sent directly to the student at the beginning of the next term of study. Students must be in attendance for a full year following receipt of the award.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must:
• be a son, daughter, grandson, or granddaughter of a current employee of an NRC member company; and
• be enrolled at the time of application as a full-time college student at an accredited two-year college offering an associate’s degree or an accredited four-year college or university offering a bachelor’s degree, or as a recently graduated high school senior that is enrolled to start college this fall.
• Previous NRC Scholarship winners are eligible to apply for a scholarship if they still meet the requirements of 1 and 2 above.
Please click here to view and download the 2016 NRC Scholarship Application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE — [August 31, 2016]
A complete application and all accompanying materials must be sent in one PDF document via email no later than August 31, 2016 for consideration for the following academic term. The absence of any of the materials listed below will render the application incomplete.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply for this scholarship, all materials listed below must be sent to the NRC Scholarship Committee:
1. A completed Application for Scholarship Program
2. A letter written on official NRC member company stationery confirming sponsorship as requested in Section A of the application and stating the relationship of the member company employee to you (e.g., father, mother, or grandparent)
3. An official transcript from all schools attended, including high school and each college attended indicating all college-level work completed through the spring semester of the year the application is made. The transcript(s) should list courses taken or in which currently enrolled. Previous scholarship winners and applicants entering their junior and senior year in college are not required to provide high school transcripts.
4. An essay, 500 words or less, addressing the following:
How do railroad construction and maintenance contractors serve the freight railroad industry now, and how can they better do so in the future?
Please compile the completed application with all required materials and send directly via electronic mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “2016 NRC Scholarship” in the subject line.
ALL MATERIALS MUST BE COMPILED IN ONE PDF AND EMAILED NO LATER THAN AUGUST 31, 2016.
EVALUATION AND NOTIFICATION
The Scholarship Committee will base its evaluation for awards on the materials submitted. All applicants will be informed of awards on October 11, 2016.
2015 NRC SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
Thank you to all 42 individuals who applied. The three winners of the 2015 Scholarship Program in Memoriam of Vinnie Vaccarello and Patsy Crisafi are listed below.
First Place - $8,000 Scholarship Award
Gustavus Adolphus (St. Peter, MN)
NRC Member Sponsor: Loram Maintenance of Way
Second Place - $4,000 Scholarship Award
University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC)
NRC Member Sponsor: Modern Railway Systems
Third Place - $2,000 Scholarship Award
Trinity University (San Antonio, TX)
NRC Member Sponsor: Whitmore
The NRC would like to acknowledge and thank those companies and individuals that have contributed significant funds to initiate and support this valuable program:
Roadway Worker Training
Land Clearing Specialists, Inc.
Loram Maintenance of Way
Southeast Railroad Supply, Inc.
Danny Brown (V&H Trucks)
Joe Daloisio (Railroad Construction Co., Inc.)
Van R. Sorrells (Dixie Precast)
Richard & Nancy Zemencik
Thomas & Lyria Lee
William & Karen Tarvin